Delhi has a great Japanese food scene, and if you haven’t tried it yet, you’re really missing out on a good meal. Japanese food is not just about just about sushi and sashimi, the staples are sticky rice, miso soup and noodles. And Japanese do chicken really really well, contrary to popular belief that they only have fish and seafood!
Japanese food is all about tradition, flavours and the art of presentation. The ingredients are super fresh and a lot of thought is given to how it’s plated. It’s one of the hottest cuisines internationally as well. Presenting our list of the famous restaurants catering to our love for sushi and other Japanese dishes in the Capital.
1. Fuji Japanese Restaurant
Located in the quaint streets of Connaught Place in Middle Circle, Fuji is my favorite Japanese restaurant, hence takes the first place in this list! There’s nothing about this place that you won’t like. From staff to seating and cutlery to food – everything is at its finest! Just like the special ingredients and recipes, the cutlery is also hand-picked and imported straight from Japan. If you haven’t yet tried Japanese food, Fuji should be the first place to visit!
- What to order: Chicken Katsu, Chicken Teppanyaki, Yakitori, Kolkata Roll, Ebi Tempura, Tori Teriyaki, hot Ramen Noodles
- Meal for two: Rs 2000 approx.
- Where: M-41/2, Speedbird House, Middle Circle, Connaught Place
2. The Fatty Bao
The Fatty Bao waddled its way into Delhi two years ago in August 2015. After a successful venture in Mumbai and Bengaluru, The Fatty Bao, an Asian eatery with bar, was a pleasant surprise for all Japanese food lovers in Delhi. And yes, I visited the restaurant just a few days after the opening and it was worth all the hype!
Located in the newest hub in South Delhi, the Sangam Courtyard in R K Puram, The Fatty Bao is spread over a huge area and is dimly lit with cute graffiti & paintings that will remind you of Kung Fu Panda. The cutlery goes well with the theme of the place – cute, colourful & innovative. The food is definitely out of this world and they have a special menu of ingenious cocktails which you *must* try!
- What to order: The Patty Bao, Spicy Fish Bao, Dragon Roll, Spicy Chicken & Celery Gyoza, Fatty Pho, The Fatty Sour, Muay Thai
- Meal for two: Rs 1850 approx.
- Where: 2nd Floor, Sangam Courtyard, R K Puram
3. Guppy by Ai
The food at Guppy is known for its bold striking flavours. You can taste tangy, spicy and exotic – all at the same time. Chef Vikram Khatri – the man behind Guppy, is very passionate about his work and promotes Japanese cuisine by all means he can (just check their Facebook page)!
Apart from some of their signature dishes, the decor at Guppy is a crowd-puller. The colourful and eclectic decor makes for all those Instagram-worthy pics! The one dish you must-have? Their signature ramen!
- What to order: Karashi Chicken & Bacon Casserole, Chicken Ramen, Chicken Nanban, Guppy Signature Pork Belly
- Meal for two: Rs 2900 approx.
- Where: 28, Main Market, Lodhi Colony
4. Wasabi by Morimoto
India’s finest Japanese restaurant in collaboration with “iron chef” Masaharu Morimoto is in The Taj Mahal Hotel. The restaurant is the epitome of traditional, authentic & contemporary Japanese cuisine, absolutely delicious sushi, tempura rolls and Teppanyaki cooking. The decor is stylish, which is done keeping in mind its visitors who come from different parts of the world and appreciate the finer things. Wasabi spells LUXURY in bold letters, where food is celebration. What you shouldn’t miss? Their sushi!
- What to order: Mango Avocado Sushi, Asparagus Tempura Maki, Salmon Carpaccio, Shrimp Tempura Maki, Pork Kakuni
- Meal for two: Rs 6000 approx.
- Where: The Taj Mahal Hotel, 1, Mansingh Road
Sakura, in Japanese, mean cherry blossom. Like the rare flower, the food at Sakura is reminiscent of traditional royal Japanese food – and is sooo different from what you get in other contemporary Japanese restaurants. The award-winning restaurant has decor that will remind you of stylish cottages and the colours that are used – bright red and white – are so in sync with the delicious food! This place is all for true-blue Japanese food-lovers.
- What to order: Salmon Teriyaki Steak, Shrimp Steak, Grilled Salmon Sashimi
- Meal for two: Rs 5000 approx.
- Where: The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa, Bangla Sahib Road, Connaught Place
6. Yum Yum Cha
An extension of Yum Yum Tree (which now has unfortunately shut down), Yum Yum Cha is a small casual restaurant in the busy Select Citywalk Mall (another is in Cyber Hub). The decor is clean and nicely done with Japanese origami art on the walls. This is one of the most popular Japanese restaurants, owing to its name. You’ll find this place jam-packed even on weekdays. The menu is surprisingly very large and has good options for vegetarians too! Heard of Japanese pizza? You’ll get it here.
- What to order: Char Siu Bao, Ike Bana, Braised Pork Belly Ramen Soup, Crispy Vegetable Rice Noodle Roll
- Meal for two: Rs 1850 approx.
- Where: 2nd Floor, Select Citywalk Mall, Saket & Cyber Hub, DLF Cyber City, Gurgaon
7. En - The Japanese Restaurant
A fine dining restaurant, En is a fusion of traditional Japanese food and perfectly matched wines. The ambience is chic and calm. It has a rooftop seating with the Qutub Minar as the backdrop which makes for a romantic dinner date with your S.O. Over the years, En has created a niche for itself and is considered one of the finest romantic restaurants. The place can be quite heavy on the pockets for every weekend outing, but it’s worth every penny!
- What to order: Chicken Tatsuta-Age Roll, Ton Katsu, Chicken Oyako Don, Dashimaki
- Meal for two: Rs 2800 approx.
- Where: H-5/1, Ambawatta One, Kalkadas Marg, Mehrauli
Chanakya Puri has a number of hidden gems that will surprise you every time you visit them. Fujiya is one such restaurant. Although the Japanese menu is quite limited here, you can still have your fix from some of the signature dishes.
- What to order: Ebi Tempura, Yaki Gyoza, Special California Maki
- Meal for two: Rs 2200 approx.
- Where: 12/48, Malcha Marg Market, Chanakyapuri
9. Sumo Sushi
Too tired to get dressed and go out for your sushi fix? Don’t you worry, Sumo Sushi’s got you covered! The “home delivery only” outlet will surprise you with its huuuge sushi menu with good options for vegetarians too. Only at Sumo Sushi should you get a Japanese burrito! Fascinated much? Don’t forget to get this deal from mydala before ordering.
Here’s some good news for Gurugram residents – Sumo Sushi is opening in Gurugram soon!
- What to order: Uramaki Asparagus Tempura, Prawn Tempura, Crazy Prawn Roll, Dynamite Roll, JB Roll, Sumo Crunch
- Meal for two: Rs 1000 approx.
- Where: Vasant Vihar and Greater Kailash 2